Buoyancy at it’s Best!!
Goal: To create a boat that floats using household materials.
To explore buoyancy and buoyant force.
Requirements: To achieve success at the Buoyancy Bash you need to have
1. Materials: You may use any of the following:
· Wood (including popsicle sticks, toothpicks etc.)
· Aluminum Foil
· Plastic Wrap
· Any material from your recycling bin (plastics, aluminum, paper)
· YOU MAY NOT USE ANY PRE-FABRICATED BOATING PRODUCTS (BOATS, HULLS, TOYS etc.)
Surface area of your boat must be a minimum of 4 inches by 4 inches (4x4) and no greater than 12 inches by 12 inches (12x12).
3. Design- your boat must have sides that are 1 inch or higher and include creativity to make it unique.
4. A well-written 5 paragraph essay. See bottom for instructions.
At the Bash: There will be judging on buoyancy, cargo, creative design, and most unusual material. Everyone must pass the buoyancy test to meet the requirement. Each student has an opportunity to sign up for one of three additional categories
Creative Design Most Unusual Material Most Cargo Held
· buoyant force
· surface area
¨ the boat floated
¨ the boat is 4 by 4 and smaller 12 by 12
¨ materials are accepted
¨ completed on time
¨ name of the boat on the boat
Written Component: Buoyancy Bash (Most will be done in class--final draft at home)